The Lucey and Lucy Family History Web Site

Welcome  
 

Lucey & Lucy Family History

 

Lucey and Lucy Family History Web Site

..Further Historical Information 

 

 


Home Page
History of Surname
Ancestry Database
Early de Lucy History
Sigournay Surname
Earliest Records
Irish Lucey Origins
Check Database
Historical Information
View Cork Map
Request Manual Search
Link to Related Sites
About Rickmansworth
Translation
Site Search
Sign Guest Book
 

Top




Full list of contents:

Misc. data for the surnames Lucey & Lucy

.
 Click to view

.
Map: Family Origins

Map: Irish Origins

Heraldry


1066: Battle of Hastings
1215: Magna Carta
1191: Lesnes Abbey & Richard de Lucy
1151: Egremont Castle & Reginald de Lucy
1766: Inhabitant List for Kilmichael, Co. Cork
1810-1824: Ballyvourney, Co. Cork Baptisms
1821: Census for Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork
1824: Pigot's Directory for Cork City
1824: Pigot's Directory for Bandon, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Ballyvournay, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Macroom, Co. Cork
1837: Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
1839: Pigot's Directory for London
1846: Post Office & Court Directory for London
1846: Slater's Directory for Macroom
1851: Census for Devon, Norfolk & Warwickshire
1851-1853: Griffiths Valuation of Ireland
1859-1940: Lucey Wills & Administrations
1863: Boherbue, Mallow Baptisms
1864-1960: Ballincollig, Co. Cork Marriages
1875-1884: San Francisco Records
1881: Census for United Kingdom
1886-1892: Ballincollig, Co. Cork Births & Deaths
C1900: Inchigeela Townlands, Co. Cork
1538-1940: Immigration Lists to America
Early Luceys of Bermondsey
Early Lucys of Ledbury
Early Lucys in America
Early Luces of Jersey
Casey: Report on Lucy Family of Co. Cork & Kerry
John O'Hart Irish Pedigrees & Lucy of Water Tymes
Hugh de Morville & Richard de Lucy
William Shakespeare & Sir Thomas Lucy
Charlecote Park, Warwickshire
Winchester Cathedral & Godfrey Lucy
William Wootton Lucy of Marlborough
Bishop William Lucy
Sean Mor Lucy
Sir Henry William Lucy: Journalist
Charles Lucy: Painter
Robert Emmet Lucy: Bishop
Anglo Irish War
US Civil War Soldiers
Ballyvourney
Chlondrohid Inchegeelagh Kilmichael Kilnamartry Macroom


1766: Record of Names of Inhabitants, Parish Kilmichael,
Co. Cork

Top

Listed as:- Name of ye head of family, No. of Prots., No. of Papists
Denis Loucy, 0, 6 
Danel Loucy, 0, 7
Danll Loucy, 0, 7
Record states:- The surname Loucy frequently occurs in the list. It is now spelled like the English surname Lucy. In the Fiants (Elizabeth) it is spelled O' Lwoshie and O' Lwosie. It is said to mean herb-doctor. Mr DJ Lucy, HC, a prominent member of this ancient Irish family says that the O' Luosies were a branch of the O Donoghues. The O' Luosies have been long seated in Macroom and neighbourhood. 

1821: Census for Parish Iveleary, Barony West Muskerry, Co. Cork

Top

John Leary. 50 years, Farmer. 50 acres. Mary Leary. 27 years, Wife. Daniel Leary. 15 years, Son. John Carney. 16 years, House Servant. Honora Lucey. 18 years, Housemaid. 

Cornelius Leary. 30 years, Farmer. 11 acres. Julian Leary. 26 years, Wife. Jeremiah Leary. 1 year. Son. Ellen Lucey. 16 years, Housemaid. 

Patrick Crowly. 22 years, Son in law. Labourer. Margt. Connell. 50 years, Widow. John Connell. 26 years, Labourer. Denis Connell. 22 years, Labourer. Honna Lucey. 60 years, Widow. Her sister. 

1827: Tithe Applotment for Parish Inchigeelagh (Iveleary),
Co. Cork

Top

COOLEENBEG

1 - Laurence Counell 18 acres

2 - Corn Luccey 9 acres
3 - Timothy Kelleher 4
4 - Batt. Leary 4
________________

GRAIG

1 - Jeremiah Luccey 138 acres

2 - Jeremiah Leary 138
3 - Timothy McCarthy & Dan Sullivan 74
4 - Dan Sullivan 201
________________

CORRINADAURY

1 - John Walsh 47

2 - James Cronin 45
3 - Tim Buckley 25
4 - John Creedan 25
5 - John Luocey 25 acres
6 - Batt. Minahan 25
7 - Humphry Lynch 25
8 - Francis Cronin 25
CAHERNACAUHA

1 - John Creedan 100

2 - John Creedan of Carrinadawny 1
3 - Tim Creedan 50
4 - John Luocey 66 acres
5 - Denis Luocey 33 acres
6 - Corn. Minahan 75
7 - Corn. Minahan 10
8 - Darby Minahan 13
9 - Corn. Luocey 84 acres
________________

DERREENACUSSFOORE

1 - Denis Coleman 100 

2 - Michael Luccey 100 acres

1827: Tithe Applotment for Parish of Macroom, Co. Cork

Top

WEST SLEAVEEN ACRES

1 - Widow Lucey 60 acres

2 - Cornelius Lucey 62 acres
3 - James Coghlan 6
4 - James Coghlan [same west lot] 17
5 - Denis Leary 30
6 - John Kelly 16
7 - John Coghlan 8
8 - William Coghlan 14
9 - John Crowly 4
10 - Mr. John Williams 12
11 - Mr. Michael Fitzgerald 13
12 - Mr. Daniel Fitzgerald 8
13 - Thomas Sheehan 4
14 - Denis Horgan 6
15 - Peter Williams 3
16 - William Hounahan 2 rods
17 - Robert Hedges Eyre Esq. 3
18 - Doctor McSwiney 23
19 - Con Lenehan 18
20 - Cornelius & John Mahony 14
21 - John Corkeran 15
22 - Richard Curtin 1
23 - Humphry Desmond 1
________________

EAST SLEAVEEN

1 - Maurice Russell 19

2 - Daniel Twomy 2
3 - Stephen Murphy 27
4 - Daniel Murphy 29
5 - Charles Shinkevin 70
6 - Patrick Murphy 29
7 - James Murphy 23
8 - Widow Sheehan 12
9 - Mr. Thomas Coppinger 8
10 - Denis Murphy 8
11 - Mrs. Lucey 6 acres
12 - Terence Swiney 2
13 - John Twomy 10
14 - Daniel Keleher 19
15 - John Lynch 21
16 - Widow Neville 11
17 - Timothy Callaghan 13
18 - John Murphy 18
19 - Ferdinand Trokes 13
CASHLOURA

1 - Michael Riordan 130

2 - Cornelius Shea 65
3 - Timothy Lucey 56 acres
4 - Cornelius Shea Sr. 118
5 - Denis Doreen 59
6 - William Doreen 59
7 - Daniel Lenehan 121
8 - Cornelius Keleher 60
9 - Timothy Keleher 60
10 - Daniel Doreen 121
11 - Edward Goggin 121
12 - John Keleher 117
13 - Hugh Keleher 118
14 - Darby Keleher 118
15 - Cornelius Keleher 119
________________

CARRIGAGULLA

1 - Mr. John Horgan 340

2 - Daniel Buckley 154
3 - John Lucey 77 acres
4 - Widow Minehan 77
5 - Jeremiah Buckly 77
6 - Peter Connell 77
7 - Timothy Keleher 154
8 - John Keleher 77
9 - Denis Keleher 77
10 - Timothy Buckly 77
11 - Jeremiah Connor 77
12 - Timothy Keleher 130
13 - Timothy Buckly 97
14 - Darby Twomy 48
15 - Timothy Croneen Sr. 57
16 - Timothy Croneen Jr. 57

Early Luceys of Bermondsey

Top

Early Parish records for Bermondsey in London refer to the burial in 1558 of Rachell Luce, the marriage of Sara Luce to Marten Menley in 1573 and to the burial of Margarett Luce in 1592. Although not certain, it is probable these records refer to the same family. The earliest of a direct line is a certain George Lucey born 1611 who married Hester Gates. They had a son George, who in turn had a son Georgius and the next generation a Henry, born in 1683 who married Elizabeth Berry. They all lived in Bermondsey. Their son was Thomas 1724-1772 who was a shipwright resident at the Foley, in the Parish of St Mary Magdalene in Bermondsey. His married Elizabeth and their children were John (1) born 1753, Thomas (2) 1758-1814 and Alice born 1761. 

The eldest son John (1) was described as a carpenter of Folly (or Foley) Bridge, Bermondsey and his son Thomas 1787-1834, of East Lane, Bermondsey, married Sarah Heiron in 1808. Their children were William (3) 1813-1893, Thomas and Emma Sarah, born 1826. William (3) married Ann Caroline Cubitt in 1840 and was also a lighterman, bargemaster and ship owner residing at East Lane, Bermondsey Wall, later Neptune Villas, Upper Grange Road, Bermondsey and eventually Henley on Thames. It is believed that William Lucey carried up river the 70ft 180 ton Egyptian obelisk Cleopatra's Needle, when it was brought to London in 1877 and erected on the Embankment. William owned several ships, one of which was named after his wife the "Ann Lucey" - a wooden barquentine of 248 tons, constructed at Rye in 1857, sailing to China via Natal and also to Hudson Bay.

The younger son Thomas (2) of Rose Court, Bermondsey was also a lighterman on the Thames and married Elizabeth, daughter of John Curling, Master Mariner, and they had a son Charles 1793-1861, who in turn married Elizabeth Bristow and also became a lighterman as well as a lay preacher.

The road where William lived was originally named Lucey Road, but is now no longer a through route and has been renamed Lucey Way.

Early Lucys of Ledbury

Top

There are numerous records of Lucy from the Ledbury area with approx. 32 variants in the way it has been recorded: de Lucy, Lucey, Lucay, Lucye, Luecy, Lucee, Lucie, Luscie, Lusy, Lussie, Lussye, Luscye, Luzye, Luezie, Lewcy, Lewcie, Lewcye, Leusy, Leusey, Locy, Locey, Locie, Losie, Losea, Losee, Lossee, Losey, Loosey, Loosie, Loyse & Lowcay are listed particularly at Charlecote, the family seat from 1100 to the present day. The individuals are most numerous in the parish records of Ledbury & Colwall, Herefordshire. But also in adjacent parishes including Eastnor, Ashperton, Bosbury, Clifford, Coddington, Lugwardine, Munsley, Norton Canon, Ross on Wye & Upper Bullingham and many other places. A monumental tablet in the Chapel of St. Ann (south side of the church) at Ledbury commemorates Charles Lucy (1726-1786) the son of Charles Lucy and Elizabeth Hankins, who according to the tablet was descended on his grandfather's side from the Lucys of Charlecote and on his grandmother's side from the Eltons of the Hazel. This would refer to Jonathan Lucy of Ledbury who married Anne Elton about 1670.

Winchester Cathedral and Godfrey Lucy

Top

Winchester CathedralGodfrey de Lucy (d. 1204), Bishop of Winchester was the son of Richard de Lucy and became a royal clerk receiving many ecclesiastical preferments. He was Archdeacon of Derby in 1182, Canon of York and Archdeacon of Richmond, Justice-Itinerant for the district beyond the Trent and the Mersey in 1179 and Bishop of Winchester between 1189-1204.

The large open retrochoir, behind the high altar at Winchester Cathedral was built, by Bishop Godfrey Lucy around 1202 as a major eastward extension to the old Norman building. It is a fine example of Early English Architecture apparently constructed to receive the vast numbers of pilgrims then flocking to St. Swithun's side. They gathered here to view his shrine on top of the feretory platform or climb into the 'Holy Hole' below it. A modern replica of the shrine now stands in the centre of the room where the original was placed in 1476. 

A series of fascinating chantry chapels now stand both within the retrochoir and radiating off it. Notable are the many pinnacled ones to Cardinal Beaufort and Bishop Waynflete. The guardian Angels' Chapel is beautifully painted. The decorated screen, opposite the Lady Chapel, was the original home of the mortuary chests of the Early Saxon Kings and housed their statues.

Early Lucys in America

Top

Daniel Lucy was the first Lucy to be recorded in America and it is known that he emigrated to Jamestown, Virginia in the ship "Susan" in 1624 and was given a patent of four acres of land on Jamestown Island. He served on two juries and died in 1627, owing five hundred pounds of tobacco to his neighbour, Richard Kingsmill, the cousin of Constance Kingsmill, wife of Sir Thomas Lucy of Charlecote. Daniel married Abigail, "the tanner's daughter" about 1617 in Warwickshire, England before he left for America and their son Samuel (1618-1662) was also born in England. There is little doubt that Daniel was a near relative of the Charlecote Lucys. Research has suggested that he was the son of Timothy Lucy, the youngest son of Sir William Lucy (about 1510-1551) and Anne Fermer of Charlecote. The wall tablet and effigy for Timothy Lucy in St. Mary, Bitterley, Shropshire confirms that he had three sons and four daughters.

Daniel and Abigail had four children, Samuel, Jane, Nathaniel and Susan. Samuel married around 1638 and died in Charles City County leaving two sons Robert (1641-1692) who served as Captain in the King's militia at Bacon's Rebellion and Francis (born 1649) who died of a fever in the spring of 1676. Both sons married; Robert to Sarah Barker in 1670 in Fleur Dieu Hundred, Charles City County, Virginia leaving a son Samuel and Francis around 1670 in Surrey County, Virginia, New England.

Sir Henry William Lucy (1843-1873)

Top

Sir Henry William Lucy (1843-1924) the journalist, was born in Crosby, Lancashire the son of Robert Lucy, a rose engine turner in the watch trade. He was employed by various newspapers and engaged in freelance journalism between 1864-1872. He was engaged by the Daily News in 1872 as manager of its parliamentary staff and writer of parliamentary summary under "Toby, MP". He wrote ''Essence of Parliament' for Punch between 1881-1916. Knighted in 1909 he held close personal relations with prominent British politicians of the time thus basing his work on first hand experience. His portrait by J.S.Sargent hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in London and his cartoon by "Spy" appeared in Vanity Fair 31 August 1905.

Charles Lucy (1814-1873)

Top

Departure of the Pilgrim Fathers from Delft Haven

Charles Lucy (1814-1873) the historical painter, was born at Norton Canon, Herefordshire and studied at Paris and at the Royal Academy, London. He exhibited his first historical painting, "The Interview between Milton and Galileo" in 1840. He painted historical subjects and some portraits, which were frequently engraved. His grandfather was the Charles Lucy of Ledbury, Herefordshire, who was born on 23rd July 1749 and married Nancy Clinton on 16th December 1775 in Eastnor, Herefordshire; son of Charles Lucy (who died at Hanley Castle, Worcestershire in 1764) and Mary Pritchard.

Regarding the painting "Departure of the Pilgrims from Delft Haven" (above) , painted in England around 1847. He won a prize for this painting at the Westminster Hall competition in London in 1847 and exhibited it at the Royal Academy in 1848. Charles Lucy also painted a view of the Pilgrims’ landing, but that work has been lost.

1538-1940: Passenger and Immigration Lists to America

Top

1821-1850: to Boston, America

Lucey, John 1821-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists: Boston,
Lucey, Daniel 1821-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists: Boston,
Lucey, Cornelius 1821-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists: Boston,

1607-1776
Lucey, Richard 1600-1609 United States The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1776
Lucey, James 1600-1609 United States The Complete Book of Emigrants, 1607-1776

1538-1940

Lucey, John 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, James 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, William 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, Anthony 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, Jeremiah 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, Jeremiah P. 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,
Lucey, ??? 1538-1940 United States Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,

United States Roll of Honour: Civil War Union Soldiers

Top

Lucey, James T. 1860-1869 - United States Roll of Honour: Civil War Union Soldiers

Robert Emmet Lucey (1891-1977)

Top

Robert Emmet Lucey (1891-1977) held the position of Archbishop of San Antonio from 1941-1969. He implemented papal directives on social justice, Catholic Action and liturgical renewal. During the Vietnam War, Robert Lucey visited South Vietnam and was an observer of the 1967 election. He also maintained a friendship with Lyndon Johnson.

The Anglo-Irish War (1916-1923)

Top

Christopher Lucey was shot on 10th November 1920, a member of the I.R.A. He is recorded as a member of the Cork No. 1 Brigade, First Batallion - B. Company: His story is told in the paperback, Rebel Cork's Fighting Story, from 1916 to the Truce with Britain. It is an Anvil Book, published by The Kerryman Ltd, Tralee.

1886-1892: Ballincollig, Co. Cork - Record of Births & Deaths

Top

BIRTHS: for Ballincollig and area, co. Cork, Ireland 1886-1892
Recorded as:- date of birth / child / parents / location / occupation 
5-5-1864 female to Thomas Free and Catherine Lucey, Ballincollig, subconstable
7-6-1864 Bridget to Michael Lucy and Margaret McCarthy, Scoruagh, labourer
23-1-1875 Mary to John Lucey and Margaret Crowley, labourer
13-2-1880 Michae to John Lucey and Margaret Crowley, labourer
10-10-1881 Ellen to Patrick Lucey and Joan Creedon, labourer
26-8-1879 Mary to Patrick Lucey and Johanna Creedon, Knockanmore, labourer
22-2-1884 Abina to Patrick Lucey and Jhanna Creedon, Barnapost, labourer
13-2-1885 Johanna to Patrick Lucy and Johanna Creedon, Barnapost, postmaster 
17-10-1886 Cornelius to Patrick Lucy and Johanna Creedon, Barnapost, postmaster
23-10-1888 Margaret to Patrick Lucey and Johanna Creedon, Barnapost, postmaster
17-11-1891 Mary Frances to Cornelius Lucey and Mary Lynch, Ballincollig, railway porter

DEATHS: for Ballincollig and area, co. Cork, Ireland 1886-1916
Recorded as:- date / name / age / marital status if given / occupation / location
9-7-1888, Abina Lucy, 4, postmasters daughter, Barnafore
14-9-1897, Patrick Lucey, 44, married, postmaster, Ovens
28-1-1908, Cornelius Lucey, 53, married farmer, Windsor
13-2-1908 John Lucey, 55, married labourer, Ballincollig
4-4-1908, John Lucey, 69, widower, laborer, Ovens
15-7-1908, Timothy Lucey, 70, married farmer Ballyburden
20-8-1908 Patrick Lucey, 28, batchelor, Ballincollig
 

Bishop William Lucy (1594-1677)

Top

William Lucy (1594-1677), bishop of St David's was the son of Thomas Lucy (1551-1605) of Charlecote. He was educated at Trinity College, Oxford and obtained his BA in 1615. He entered Caius College, Cambridge in 1615 obtaining a BD in 1623. As Bishop of St David's he suffered during the Interregnum and inhibited the archdeacon of Brecon from holding visitations in his diocese. He also published many controversial works.

The monumental inscription in the Collegiate church of Brecon Cathedral without communion rails, under an ordinary stone, on which on a white lozenge in the middle reads:-

"Here lies Wm.Lucy, Ld Bishop of St Davids, who died Oct.4,1677.Info:"

Near his tombstone are, within two other stones, white marble lozenges, one for Martha his wife, who died 21 Jan. 1672; the other for Martha his daughter, who died 13 Sept. 1676. This bishop left 5 sons & 2 daughters. Not far from these graves stones on the south wall are two handsome marble monuments for the mother and daughter with inscriptions as follows and opposite to them Treasurer Lucy's monument.
"Here lyeth ye body of Martha Lucy daughter of Wm Angel of Crohurst in Surrey, Esq. & wife of Doctor Wm Lucy then rector of Burrow Cleere in Hampshire, & now Lord Bishop of St David’s, She was religious towards God, dutifull to her father, loveing to her husband, carefull of her children, charitable to ye Poor, kind to her neighbours & Courteous to all. She dyed January 21, 1674 & left five sons & two daughters. Reader Praise God for graceing her with so many & high gifts & Pray that her posterity may inherit her vertues."
The second monument reads:-
"M.S. Marthae Lucy Quae Dignitate Domus, & virtutem Precellentia Natae est vel optimis aequalis,
Vixit superior; Moribus & Pietate suavi, Omnibus exemplum facile; Caetera non imitanda ; Ingenio quo nemini faelcius unquam contigit usa felicissime Optime merendo omnia hic amica possidens et caelum fide Virtutibus tandem perfecit mortalitatem suam Dignissimis immortalitatis comitibus Quo transmigravit Die Sep. 13. Anno Domini 1676."

Sean Mor Lucy

Top


From "Leinster, Munster & Connaught" by Frank O'Connor

"............. faction fights between Cork and Kerrymen which took place in the mountains. 'Sean Mor Lucy, the most powerful man ever was in these parts, with his cry of "Two o'clock and not a blow struck yet," coming late to the faction fight because he had met a bull and never passed a bull without fighting it. It was the same Sean Mor who was nearly beaten by a black wrestler at the fair of Macroom and was saved only by a neighbour shouting: "What do you stand on, Sean?" Because, the black man's weakness is in his shin and his elbow."

This probably refers to Michael Lucy (1803-1854) of Fuhries Townland, Ballyvourney Parish, Co. Cork, Ireland who probably died in India in the British Army in 1854.
 

Dr. Albert Casey: Report on Lucy Family in Co. Cork & Kerry

Top

Dr. Albert Casey after extensive research prepared a “Preliminary Report on Lucy Family, Counties Cork & Kerry (Lucey, Loucey)” in volume 6 of his work  “O’Kief, Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater in Ireland”. He summarised his conclusions as follows:-

Albert Casey's father’s mother was Johanna Lucy, born in Ballyvourney Co. Cork, the daughter of Michael Lucy. Her spinster sister Catherine Lucy apparantly lived at Knocknagree. He states that a Lucy historian in Ballyvourney told him in July 1950 that his grandmother Johanna Lucy was the granddaughter of John Lucy (born 1774 probably in Clondrohid), who died at Bolamore (Parish of Dromtarriff) on 31st October 1862, aged 58 years and pointed out the tombstone inscription in the old St. Gobnaits Church, the last stone on the end of the row. This historian stated that the Lucys were of Norman origin and not Irish, and that Anthony Lucy, their ancestor, landed in County Wexford. Through other research Casey presumed that John Lucy was the son of Daniel Lucy (born C1750) and Catherine Crowley of Clondrohid Parish. A tombstone in Clondrohid Cemetery indicates that Daniel Lucy died in l829 and his wife, Catherine in 1855. Casey also writes that local tradition in Ballyvourney Parish stated that John Lucy obtained half of the Fuhries farm (Ballyvourney Parish) when he married a daughter of Lynch, who held the 950 acre farm. Also that Michael Lucy seems to have held John Lucy's portion of the farm in the tithe applotment book for 1827, but he was not listed in Griffith's Valuation of 1850.

From other sources in Ballyvourney in 1962, Casey states that John Lucy was the estate manager for the Colthursts at Bolamore and had primary leases or properties. That he married twice, first to Ellen Lynch, (Michael Lucy's first daughter named Johanna), and that Michael Lucy was a son by the first marriage and resided on the Lynch family farm at Fuhries obtained through his mother (see Tithe applotment book for 1827). This is a desolate and rocky area not best suited to farming and Michael Lucy showed very little enthusiasm for farming, he was a carpenter and groom for the Colthursts and spent time hunting, dog and horse racing, "killed a blackman" at Macroom in a fight (see above), eventually joined the British Army and presumably died in foreign service, perhaps India. Apparently local people said he did not marry his wife, Margaret Wiseman, in the church and left her to care for their five daughters when he joined the army.

Casey noted in his search for suitable ancestors an Anthony Lucy (born 1646) who settled at Magherstafanagh, Co. Fermanagh and is buried in Clogher Churchyard. He was the son of Thomas Lucy (born 1612) who built the old house at Rafertan, Doogary, Co. Fermanagh where Lucy's resided for many generations and possibly the grandson of William Lucy (born about 1590) of Hanley adjoining Water Tymes, Oxfordshire whose coat of arms was 3 swimming pikes (linking Charlecote) nine stars & Fleur de Luce. Another individual Anthony Dennis Luosy, farmer of Ballymodan Parish (Bandon, Co. Cork) died intestate in 1736 (Cork Adm, bonds) and presumably could be a son of Anthony Lucy. He states that this is the first mention of a Lucy in Counties Cork and Kerry that he found although we know from other research that Lucys are recorded elsewhere in the Fiants in the early seventeeth century.

Hugh de Morville (d. 1204) and Richard de Lucy

Top

Hugh de Morville died in 1204, one of the murderers of St. Thomas of Canterbury. He was most probably the son of Hugh de Morville, who held the barony of Burgh-by-Sands, Cumberland, and several other estates in the northern shires, in succession to his mother, Ada, daughter of William de Engaine. He should be distinguished from Hugh de Morville (d. 1162) son of Richard de Morville (d. 1189) and from Hugh de Morville (d. 1200). Hugh's mother was licentious and treacherous; he ‘was of a viper's brood.’ From the beginning of the reign of Henry II he was attached to the court and is constantly mentioned as witnessing charters. His name occurs also as a witness to the Constitutions of Clarendon. He married Helwis de Stuteville, and thus became possessor of the castle of Knaresborough. 

He was forester of Cumberland, and itinerant justice for Cumberland and Northumberland in 1170 and he held the manor of Westmereland. He had been one of Becket's men when he was chancellor; but he had always been of the king's party and he was easily stirred by the king's bitter words to avenge him of the archbishop. In the verbal contest which preceded the murder he asked St. Thomas ‘why, if the king's men had in aught offended him or his, he did not complain to the king before he took the law into his own hands and excommunicated them’. While the others were smiting the saint he kept back with his sword the crowd which was pouring into the transept from the nave, ‘and so it happened that with his own hand he did not strike him’. After all was over he fled with the other knights to Saltwood, thence to South Malling, later to Scotland; but he was finally forced to flee to his own castle of Knaresborough, where he sheltered his fellow-criminals. There they remained, though they were accounted vile by all men of that shire. All shunned converse with them, nor would any eat or drink with them.

Finally a penance of service in the Holy Land was given by the pope, but the murderers soon regained the royal favour. In 1200 Hugh de Morville paid fifteen marks and three good horses to hold his court with the rights of tol and theam, infangenetheof, and the ordeal of iron and of water, so long as his wife, in whose right he held it, should retain the secular habit. He obtained also license to hold a market at Kirkoswald, Cumberland, on Thursdays, and a fair on the feast of St. Oswald. He died shortly afterwards (1204), leaving two daughters: Ada who in 1200 married Richard de Lucy, son of Reginald of Egremont and Joan who married Richard de Gernum, nephew of William Brewer, who had been appointed her guardian.

William Shakespeare and Sir Thomas Lucy

Top

We do not know for certain why Shakespeare left Stratford but the most frequently stated reason is that he left to escape prosecution as a result of poaching deer on the lands of Sir Thomas Lucy (1532-1600) and that later he avenged himself in "The Merry Wives of Windsor" by portrayed Sir Lucy as Justice Shallow.  The story was initiated by a Gloucestershire clergyman named Richard Davies who around 1616, wrote that "Shakespeare was much given to all unluckiness in stealing venison and rabbits, particularly from Sir ----- Lucy (Davies left out Sir Thomas' first name) who oft had him whipped and sometimes imprisoned and at last mad him fly his native country to his great advancement."  Another version of the story was recorded by the actor Thomas Betterton and in 1709 the dramatist Nicholas Rowe repeated the story in his Account of the Life of Shakespeare.

"He had, by a Misfortune common enough to young Fellows, fallen into ill Company; and amongst them, some that made a frequent practice of Deer-stealing, engag'd him with them more than once in robbing a Park that belong'd to Sir Thomas Lucy of Cherlecot, near Stratford. For this he was prosecuted by that Gentleman, as he thought, somewhat too severely; and in order to revenge that ill Usage, he made a Ballad upon him. And tho' this, probably the first Essay of his Poetry, be lost, yet it is said to have been so very bitter, that it redoubled the Prosecution against him to that degree, that he was oblig'd to leave his Business and Family in Warwickshire, for some time, and shelter himself in London." 

The third Sir Thomas Lucy (1532-1600) owner of Charlecote, Warwickshire was educated by John Foxe , the martyrologist, whose Puritan sentiments he adopted. He inherited the Warwickshire estate in 1552 and rebuilt the manor house at Charlecote in 1558-9. He was knighted in 1565 by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, deputizing for Elizabeth Ist. In August 1572 he entertained Queen Elizabeth at Charlecote. The house is constructed in mellow red brickwork with tall chimneys. The later early Victorian interiors contain many important objects from Beckford's Fonthill Abbey and outside, the balustraded formal garden gives onto a fine deer park landscaped by 'Capability' Brown.
 

Home

Published by Norman Lucey
e-mail: norman@lucey.net
© Copyright 2000-2009, Norman Lucey. All rights reserved.

Page last updated on 7th May 2009 . . . . . . Extra information 16th January 2017

Forward to fourth page

Next Page